Thursday, June 27, 2013

Salem Hill Dance Competition

Wow, soooo much less stressful than the week before!   Her first performance was the group performance.   We had to be there at 9:00am and her performance time was at 10:03.   These guys ran a tight ship!   Reagan went with me and we got to sit and watch all the performances while Morgan was getting ready and practicing.   I felt at ease and calm this time.   There was only one place that the teams would be performing in so I knew I was in the right place, so no worries there.   

The second team to perform was a group named Charisma, they are from Springville.   Anyway they put on a spectacular performance of Peter Pan.   I had chills the whole time.   It was just amazing.   I wish I would have recorded it!   There was one scary part where one of the little lobsters (about 4 or 5 years old) dropped her claw and at the end of her part ran to get it and was running to the back of the stage and almost ran into Peter Pan who was doing many back flips.   The audience gasped and the little lobster was able to duck under Peter Pan and every one was okay, but it could have been bad.   I talked to a mom that her child goes to Charisma and she dances for 1-3 hours a day 5-6 days a week.   I'm sure it's pretty expensive.   Our directors said that this is the first year that we have even been able to compete against Charisma and some of the other teams that were there!

Then it was Morgan's turn, they did the group number “Girls, girls, girls” first.   They came out and it was flawless!   I didn't record it this time.   I tried to take pictures so I could capture her expressions, but I don't think I did a very good 
job.   I need to learn how to take pictures, in doors, while people are moving and I’m far away.





After that we came home and ate some lunch.   I would have liked to stay home a little longer because we didn't need to be back until 3:30 but Morgan really wanted to see the other performances.   Reagan didn't want to go this time, she would rather play with Makayla so it was just me and Mugs.   It was fun to see some of her other team mates perform.   It was neat to see the competition and a little nerve racking...

Soon it was her turn to go and get ready.   She didn't need my help so I just stayed.   I chatted with other mothers around and I was clearly in Charisma territory.   They weren't very nice and the more moms showed up the more rude comments they would say about all the other teams’ costumes or dance steps or coordination.   Her second dance was the "Watch me" and I was able to record that on my 
phone so I could post that on YouTube.   I asked one of the nicer moms to watch my backpack (I took my camera) so I could help Morgan get her hair into pigtails.   When I got back even more Charisma moms were there!   



Soon it was time for her "Good girl" dance.   AS I WAS TAKING PICTURES one of the mom's commented, "Well they aren't doing much, but at least they are staying together."   I hate confrontation and just wanted to get out of there.   After Morgan's dance she changed and came up to the stands and I asked her quietly if she wanted to go and sit somewhere else.   She did.   We found some people from Centennial Dancers.   It was much more pleasant. 








There were only a few dances left and then it was time for the medals.   I was really surprised how many poor sports there were.   If Charisma or Stars didn't get first place they were mad and wouldn't even clap.  If they got first place they cheered so loud it really hurt my ears and I was up in the stands!   

My favorite thing was though, there are five groups of competition teams in Centennial Dancers, Varsity, Sr Elite, Elite, Jr. Elite, mini Elite.   We BEAT Charisma AND Stars in our Varsity, Sr Elite and Elite dances!!!! (Morgan is in Elite!)   The whole team dance got first place in their division.   The "Good girl" dance got first (against Charisma!) and the "Watch me" got second.   I think they did awesome!


No comments:

Post a Comment