Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Morgan's first dance competition

April 27th was Morgan's first official dance competition that she was actually judged on.   The other times that she has performed they have been more of a filler for when the groups have done costume changes or when the judges were scoring.   We (Me, Bailey and Morgan) went up to Taylorsville High School for the competition.   It was crazy to say the least!   We made sure to leave plenty early just in case traffic was bad or it was hard to find.   We had to check in at 12:00 and we left at 9:00.

Well there was no traffic and the place couldn't have been easier to find if there had been a glowing sign above it.   So we had plenty of time to get ready.   We found our area easily.   I fixed Morgan's hair and makeup.   We chatted with April and Chantele.   There were some older girls sleeping because they had dances earlier that morning.   We were pretty bored so we decided to take a drive and Morgan said she was hungry for something other than the million things that we had packed.   We drove around and found a Jamba Juice.   Bailey and Morgan got a Chocolate Moo's and I got and Peach and Mango shake thing.   Then we went back to the school.   We got our exact same parking spot :)

When we got back to our area and more girls were starting to show up.   Morgan started getting into her first costume.   Her first two dances were only 27 minutes apart with different costumes and in different places!!   I had Bailey go to the Gym to save us a spot.   She had a great spot saved then a guy came and sat right next to her.   Then Andy called and she couldn't understand what he was saying so she brought the phone to me, by that time I was finished with Morgan so I just decided to go with Bailey to the Gym and wait.   Well we waited and waited.   People were bringing in prop after prop after prop.   Bailey and I would joke that they were setting up bombs.   there were lots of different groups coming in and we would joke about what kind of number it would be like because surely there wouldn't be enough time for all of them to perform before 1:00 when our perform time was.   It was 12:47 and still no sign of our girls and still no one was performing.   12:53 and I started wondering if I got mixed up and it was really supposed to be in the auditorium.   I ran down the stairs, ran to our area, the girls were gone, ran to the auditorium and they were handing out awards.   Ran back to the gym and the girls where there!   Whew!!   I went back up to my seat.   While I was gone Bailey said it was announced that the reason they were running late was because they couldn't find the judges!   I saw our director talking to the MC which I'm sure she was explaining that they needed to perform at 1:27 which now it was about 1:07.   Finally they found the judges.   They had a single girl go and then they let our girls go before the three other groups that were before them.   This was the Girls, girls, girls dance.

We then ran back to our area.   Quickly changed outfits, luckily we didn't have to change hairstyles.   Meanwhile Bailey was finding us a place in the auditorium.   As soon as I had Morgan changed, I told her to stick with April, her director, and I left.   I found Bailey in the Auditorium and we waited and waited and waited.   And I started to freak out again.   I went out side of the auditorium and saw to of the moms that have girls in the same group just not the same class.   I asked them if they knew where April's dance was going and they both told me that it was supposed to be in the auditorium    I forced myself to sit there and watch the dances.   As we were watching I had a feeling to have Bailey record with my phone and for me to use the camcorder.   Almost 45 minutes later Morgan's team finally came on.   We were ready, me with the camcorder, Bailey with my phone.   As Bailey was recording suddenly it stops and says that it is out of memory!   I am so glad that I had the feeling to camcord it!!!   This was the Watch me dance

The next dance wasn't for another hour.   We had plenty of time to change her costume and hair this time.   Then they went off to practice.   And I patiently waited and enjoyed watching all of the other dances.   This one was her good girls cowboy dance that I have seen quite a few times but it never gets old seeing her perform.   At the end of the song though they kept going, they had extended the dance!  I had goose bumps and tears!

It was a crazy day but so worth it.   I'm so proud of her and can't believe how far she has come in less than a year.   She is born to dance.   It's not easy financially but April, the director, works with us and lets us make payments when we can and they'll do fundraisers that help out too.

Oh, and by the way they took first in the Girls, girls, girls dance.   Second in the Watch me dance and First in the Good girl cowboy dance.   Pretty proud mamma here.

No comments:

Post a Comment