Friday, June 28, 2013

Happy 3rd Birthday Oakley

My baby really isn't a baby anymore when he gets presents of actual Lego's, right?  Oakley is growing up so quickly, it seems so much shorter than three years ago when I was sitting in a hospital bed looking into his cute little hairy face, but it has been.  Oakley has been such a blessing in our lives and I know that he is the child meant to complete our family.  He is such a daddy's boy.  None of you kids have loved Dad as much and as completely as Oakley does.  He picks Dad over me any day, and I'm okay with that.  Dad has never been able to experience that kind of love when one of you just spontaneously will say "I love you" or will just come and give him a hug for no reason.  Oakley will say "I love you" to Dad an average of 40 times a day, if not more.  He loves to be near his daddy, if he's going down to the store, tinkering out in the garage, watching "Deadliest Catch" on TV, or needed to lay down to rest his back, Oakley is right beside him.
There are two or three times that he does still need me: 1. To help him use the bathroom.  2. To get him food.  3.  To help him change his clothes (although he is close to not needing me on this one)  I know he does love me because he does tell me but I know that him and Dad have a special kind of love and I think that he was sent here to help Dad.
He still has problems with speech and had speech therapy during the school year.  He has qualified for the speech preschool where a bus will come and pick him up and take him to school and bring him home.  It will be nice that I won't have to worry about transporting him, but I worry about how he's going to do.  He still doesn't go to Nursery by himself.  He'll go if Dad or I am there but if we try to leave he want's nothing more to do with those toys.  I warned the speech teachers about it and they said that the kids who cry aren't the ones who worry them, they usually stop crying within a few minutes and then don't cry at all in a few weeks.  It's the biters and hitters that they worry about, and Oakley isn't either one of those, I guess he does hit his sisters once in a while but he usually doesn't hit other kids unless they come and hit him first.  
An interesting thing has come from his lack of speech though.  He has made up his own sign language! He just says "Morning" and "Night" and we were curious to what the real signs to morning and night were so we asked Andy and come to find out, Oakley was almost dead on with what he was signing!
Lately he has had two obsessions, Lego's and TMNT.  I searched Amazon and lo and behold I found TMNT Lego's!  I made sure to get all four Turtles, Master Splinter and Shredder, the rest I didn't care about.  He was so happy with it all!
  






He did have his well child check today.  I figured that he wouldn't really remember and it was the best day that worked for us.  He did well except for the part that Dr. Bennett needed to see him walk so he took him off of Dad's lap and across the room.  Oakley started crying and just ran as soon as Dr. Bennett let go of him.  But he is growing great, he is 36" for height which puts him in the 25% and 32 lbs for weight which puts him just under the 50%, which has been right along his curve.  Hopefully his height shoots up one of these days, which I'm sure it will because it did for Morgan and Owen. 


Later that night it was cake time.  Oakley was so excited...until Dad lit the candles, then he wasn't so sure, we told him that it was okay and to just blow them out and we would eat the cake.  He quickly blew them out and then everyone, especially Oakley, enjoyed the cake. 













No comments:

Post a Comment