Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My sick baby

My little baby has been so sick.  He's had a cold for a week or so now but then thursday night he started running a fever of 101 so I decided to get him into the doctor on friday.  They had an appointment first thing in the morning so I took it, the doctor said that his lungs were very wheezy and raspy but everything else looked normal so he said that he had RSV.  He told me to look for signs of dehydration and problems breathing.
Later on that evening he was having a harder time breathing so I called over to the doctor and they were able to get me in before they closed.  I saw another doctor who agreed with the first doctor that he had RSV, he sent me home with some albuterol to be delivered by the nebulizer.  Again, if he got worse I was to bring him in.
The weekend rolled along and he had good moments and bad moments then sunday night he ran a fever of 103 most of the night, everytime I tried to give him medicine he just would throw it up.  We were up at 2:30 and he could not go back to sleep, he just would cry and whimper all night. 
I got him back into the doctor monday morning and this time it was with our regular doctor, who we love.  He checked him all out, he looked in one ear and said that it was badly infected and then he looked in the other and he said that one was worse!  He watched him breathing and was concerned, he sent us to get blood work and x-ray's done. 
Oakley was so good, he let out a little whimper when they stuck him for the blood work and again he didn't cry when the took the chest x-rays.  Either he is way tough or he was just too weak to cry.
The x-rays were conclusive that he did indeed have RSV, the blood work was normal for a little boy who was fighting off infection.  In the end he treated him for the ear infections.  Told me that even though he looks bad he was doing pretty good.  I got his antibiotic and started it right away.  Monday night was much better.  He still woke up three or four times but he just nursed and went right back to sleep. 
Today he is actually sitting up and wanting to play.  He still doesn't want me to put him down, which makes it hard to do my chores, but that's okay, chores can wait!  I am so thankful for antibiotics, Oakley is far from better but he is getting better a little at a time!

He's greased up because his little nose is so raw from us wiping it constantly plus his eczema has started to flare up again!

4 comments:

  1. oh man! That is so sad! I hate it when my kids are sick! He looks so sad! I'll say my prayers that he makes a quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor thing! That is horrible! I hope he gets feeling better soon, and that you are able to get some sleep.(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor little thing! i hate when babies are sick & miserable, it's so sad. glad he sounds like he is getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is so darn adorable!

    I hate sick babies! Harbor has been sick too, ick! Exhausting!

    ReplyDelete