Saturday, May 28, 2011

Grandad Peterson

The world lost a wonderful man on May 7.
My Grandad, Don L Peterson, was one of the kindest people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.  I don't ever recall seeing him mad or raising his voice at anyone. 
He loved us kids with all his heart and loved to play with us.  The most famous game he played with us was "Ride a cock horse" He would cross his legs and we would sit on the foot of his top leg.  He then would hold our hands and kick his foot and say,
"Ride a cock horse to Ban berry boss
to meet a fine lady upon a white hoss (horse)
with rings on her fingers and bells on her toes
she shall have music where ever she goes" 
Then he would kick his foot so it uncrossed and fly us into the air!  It was a sad day when I was too big for this game!
He also loved to tell stories.  He would tell us stories of when he was young, he would tell us stories of when my dad was young, he would tell stories that he had heard.  He just loved to tell stories.
He loved the gospel.  Him and my Gramma served four LDS missions together.  They loved meeting new people and serving them.  I hope that when my kids are all grown Bruce and I can serve a mission together in their honor.
He had the most wonderful funeral ever.  He didn't want the traditional funeral with a lot of talking, he said that he always had a love for music and that it always played an important part of his life.  So he wanted his funeral to mainly consist of music.  He opened the services with "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam"  It was perfect, now every time I hear that song I will think of Grandad.  I have never been so overcome by emotion at a funeral like I was during his funeral and I think the music brought the Spirit so close that I couldn't help but be moved.
My Grandad was the best Grandad in the whole entire world and I will miss him terribly.  But I don't know if he will have time to miss me because he will be so busy up in heaven.  My uncle said it best WIP "Work In Peace"  I know that he is helping all those in heaven who want to hear about the gospel.  Keep up the good work Grandad, until we meet again.
At my wedding


Unfortunately my whole family couldn't make the trip to Arizona.  Just Oakley and I made the trip.  I missed them terribly but I knew that I needed to go and say a final good bye to my Grandad. I was so glad that everything worked out the way it did.  Oakley did so good on the 10 1/2 hour drive both times!
Some old pictures of my Grandad while he was in the Navy. 
The one below was when him and my Gramma got married.  He was about to be deployed so he called her up and told her to come to California.  Well his mom and her mom had a pretty good idea to what was going to happen so they rode along with my Gramma.  Well they ended up getting married and the story goes she went back to Arizona for the reception and he went to Hawaii for the honeymoon.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry you lost your grandpa. :( Sorry that your husband and kids couldn't go with to help hold you up and help keep you strong. Glad you went regardless, something you can never do again and would've regretted it if you'd stayed home. He was a handsome man as a lad ;) LOVE old pictures. Very cool! Look at that one of you and Bruce!!! Still gorgeous as ever and Bruce is still handsome with that smile :) Love you guys. so glad we are neighbors and have come to know you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about your grandpa. He sounds like he was an amazing man. I'm so glad you got to go and be with your grandma. I hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete