Friday, September 24, 2010

Getting bigger

I didn't plan on feeding Oakley rice cereal at three and a half months. 

He has been having coughing spells for about three weeks now.  He had a little cold three weeks ago and has just had a cough ever since.  The cough has been getting worse to the point that he is throwing up when he coughs, so I decided that it was time to take him in to the doctor.  I was worried about asthma since Morgan and Owen both have asthma.  But his lungs sounded great.  The doctor asked me about his coughing spells and he told me that Oakley has silent reflux.  Great.  He isn't a spitty baby but enough comes up that it irritates his throat and that is what is causing his coughing spells, especially at night.

Neither me or the doctor wants to put him on medication so he suggested to start him on rice cereal.  It will help thicken the milk in his tummy so the milk can stay in there easier.  He told me to put it in a bottle with formula, well he doesn't take a bottle, I breastfeed him exclusively so he said to try feeding it to him with a spoon.  He said that Oaks will let us know by his reaction if he is ready for it or not.  If he pushes it out with his tongue he isn't ready if he gulps it down he is ready. 

Well Oakley did something in between.  He loved it and was super excited about it but it didn't stay in his mouth very good and ended up getting all over.  But I guess enough got in him because he only had one coughing spell all night!  I tried it again this morning, he did about the same as he did last night.  I guess he has reached another mile stone...makes me sad... 

Oh, yea, they weighed him at the doctors and with all his clothes on and a full diaper he weighed 17 lbs 1 oz...I am interested to find out in a few weeks how much he weighs naked






4 comments:

  1. What a cutie! Looks like he really likes that rice cereal! I hope this takes care of all his acid reflux issues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is so cute! Hope this works for him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a cutie!! I love that middle picture of him with the BIG WIDE eyes!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. look at them big ol brown eyes!

    ReplyDelete