Monday, July 8, 2013

Turtles!!!

 The night of June 30th Dad and I were laying in bed looking at our phones and Dad asks me if I had seen the post on the "Payson indoor yardsale" on facebook.  I said that I hadn't, so he handed me his phone and it had a picture of four adorable turtles on it!  He said that we had to get them.  Yes, Mr. "No more pets" said we had to get these little turtles!  I called the number that was listed and he said that he still had them all, I asked him if I could meet him at his home as soon as he got off of work at 5:00 because online it said "first come, first serve" and we wanted to make sure to get at least one, he said I could meet him at his house and gave me his address.
We wanted to be sure to be first in line so we left our house a half hour before he got off of work.  I took Morgan, Owen and Savanna.  We waited FOREVER!  He finally showed up at 5:15 with his son.  He said he would be right back and went into the house.  He came out with an aquarium.  It had the turtles and some hermit crabs all in a habitat.  I asked him if we could buy all four (so we could have the TMNT) and he said that they were actually his sons and that his son cried all night because he had put them up for sale so he said that he told his son he could keep one.  I asked if we could get the three and he said we could.  We put them in the container we brought, paid the guy $10 each for them and off we went.  
We took them home and then, after all the babysitting kids got picked up, we had to go to Wal-mart to get all the supplies.  We got a tank, the gravel, a food dish and food.  Luckily we had things for them to climb on from when the lizard was little so we didn't need to buy any of that.  We got home and I had to rinse all the gravel off and I set up the tank.  Once it was set up I put water in it and then put the turtles in.  They made themselves right at home.
The guy that we bought them from had been told from the guy he bought them from that they were miniature turtles.  The more research that I am doing, I am finding out that there is no such thing as a miniature turtle.  I am 99% sure that these little guys are Red Eared Sliders, which is fine.  This tank will not be big enough to hold all three of them so eventually we will have to get rid of two of them, but I think April and Andy will be happy to take the two off of our hands when the time comes.  Until then we are having fun with the little guys.
We did still settle on the TMNT names.  Raphael, Leonardo and Michelangelo.  Raph is the one that has red on his neck, Leo has a scratch on his shell, and Mikey is the chill one.










*Ten days after we got the turtles Raph died.  I'm hoping that it's because he just got too cold.  We didn't have them heated in anyway, they were just sitting on the kitchen table.  We moved them the day Raph died to Owen's room where it's warmer, because of the lizard, and we also got them a water heater.  Mikey and Leo seem very happy and are swimming much more.  I hope we don't loose another one.  The kids were really bummed about loosing Raph.

No comments:

Post a Comment