Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Raph's burial

Sadly ten days after we got the turtles, Raph died.  We are hoping that he just got too cold.  We didn't have a heater for the water and the tank was just sitting on the kitchen table.  After he died, I cleaned out the tank and we got a water heater.  We also moved the tank into Owen's room where it's warmer because of Ozone's tank and his lights.  Leo and Mikey seem happier and are swimming around more.  I hope they survive!
All of the kids were really bummed that he died but Owen was the most affected.  He was the only one who took the initiative to bury him.  
He chose a spot by the raspberries where it was poky so no cats or dogs would dig him up.  When he put him in the grave he tipped upside down.  Owen fixed him so he was right side up.  I thought that was very tender.  When Raph was covered up he found three sticks to mark his grave so we would remember where he was buried.  
He wants to dig him up in a few weeks, once the body has decomposed, and keep the shell.  I don't know how I feel about that so I'm hoping he'll forget. 









I love this sweet, thoughtful boy of mine!


No comments:

Post a Comment