Friday, June 3, 2011

Oakley turns one!

My baby is growing up much too quickly.  He celebrated his first birthday on Monday.  We started the day off opening presents.  He still needed quite a bit of help opening them so Owen was glad to help him out.





 Owen made this little quilt for Oakley, he cut out each square and lined them up the way he wanted it to go, then I sewed it together.  He was so proud of himself!
 Smash Cake
I asked an awesome neighbor who makes cakes for fun if she would make Oakley's cake.  She asked me what kind of cake I wanted and I told her what ever was easiest for her (she's pregnant).  A few days later she said that she found a cute idea and she was very excited, she wasn't going to tell me at first but she couldn't stand it any more and told me.  It was a curious George cake.  It was perfect! 

 She also made caramel carrot cupcakes and chocolate peanut butter cupcakes for the rest of us.  They were amazing!
 Oakley didn't quite know what to think of the cake.  He was excited about it and I thought that he would totally smash it but he didn't he mostly just poked at it.






 Then he found the ear and thought that was pretty good and ate that for a while.

 We decided that he needed to eat some kind of cake so we gave him one of the caramel carrot cakes.  He just poked at that too.  He didn't like the feel of the frosting on his hands so each time he would touch the cupcake he would immediately clap his hands together to try to get the frosting off.


It ended up being a pretty good first birthday.  It still amazes me how much he has grown and how smart he is.
At twelve months he can:
*Point to each of his siblings and grunt out their name.
*Walk about 90% of the time
*Starting to run
*He has eight teeth and his molars are about to come through
*He can show us how big his buck is
*loves to read books, especially ones with animals in them
*Loves Dory and the cats and they allow him to tackle them
*He loves to be outside
*He is starting to play with the other babies that I watch
*He is getting quite the professional at throwing tantrums, I hope he grows out of them quickly
*He loves Owen so much and is starting to try to wrestle him
*He refuses baby food anymore but he can eat real food so good.
*He is starting to give the best hugs
*Likes to pretend to sleep on the floor
*He amazes us every day and I am so glad that he is in our family!

4 comments:

  1. He is seriously the cutest baby boy I know! Love those eyelashes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um...I need to try both those cupcakes IMMEDIATELY!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, he is so adorable!!! I LOVE the first picture in the post - that close-up of Oaks. Happy Birthday Boy!!

    And Owen, I love the quilt you made (with Mom's help)!! Such a great gift for your little brother!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I love this post! It is too cute! Great pictures! LOVE the cake! She did an amazing job! He has the cutest darn smile and eyelashes! HAPPY BIRTHDAY OAKLEY!!!

    ReplyDelete