Friday, November 19, 2010

A dream come true

As a little girl I had the opportunity to take piano lessons.  Sometimes I hated them but mostly I loved them.  It was always fascinating to me that I could make music from my hands, it wasn't always beautiful at first but with enough practice I could play pretty good.  I have wanted for years to have a piano to teach my kids the skills that I have acquired over the years.  But they were always so expensive and I wanted a piano just like my mom's.  I wanted to ask my mom but I didn't want to cause a big family uproar because I wasn't the only one who took lessons so why should I get it and not someone else.
The day before Halloween I got a phone call from my mom.  We chatted for a bit about what our day was going to be like then she said, "Well I want to give you an early Christmas present."
"Okay" I said, not having the foggiest idea what she was giving me.
"I want to give it to you early before the weather gets cold" She told me.
"Okay..." I said, thinking that she was going to give me something to plant in the yard.
"But you have to promise not to sell it." She said
"Okay..."  I replied, my curiosity was defiantly piqued at that point
"I want to give you my piano."
I was so overcome by emotions I have no idea what was said after that.  Really, me?  Wow!  What an honor!  I could not believe my ears.  I was crying, I was laughing, the kids and Bruce came running into the bedroom to see what was going on.
We talked about finding some movers and that it probably needed to be tuned because it had been a while since someone had played it.  After I hung up the phone I walked on clouds the rest of the day, actually every day I walk into my computer room where we put it I am on a cloud!
It took about a week to figure everything out.  There were four piano movers that I could find that worked in Utah Valley.  I got prices, asked questions and they all were comparable, so I prayed about it and I had a really good feeling about one mover so I went with him.  The move went as smoothly as you could have asked for, the mover and his two sons made it seem so easy and effortless.
Within seconds of the movers leaving the kids were all asking if they could play it.  They all took their turns, then I took my turn, what an amazing feeling after all these years that my fingers could still remember where they were supposed to go.  Some songs came better than others but they all felt so good, so natural.
I have been teaching Bailey, Morgan and Owen.  Reagan wants to learn and I am helping her but her hands are so small it's hard for them to reach to where they need to go, but she's trying!  Oh, the sound of music fills my home and it's wonderful!  I love it!
I don't think I could ever thank my mom enough, what a dream come true!



7 comments:

  1. the only songs I know how to play with both hands were learned on this piano! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful piano! I took lessons my whole life...started out in Suzuki and tried to convert to note reading but was never real good at it. To this day, I can play a song if I hear it, but if I try to read the notes I mess it all up!!! Have fun with the piano...keep a good attitude about it with your kids so they will love it as much as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Steph! You had me tearing up just reading about your emotions! I am so happy that you got the piano! What a blessing! I know your family will enjoy it so much! I loved growing up with a piano and I LOVE having a piano in my home! Merry, merry Christmas!!! Ü

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that you could play the piano! That is awesome. What a great Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks really good Steph! I'm glad that it is going to be played all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Having a piano is so much fun. You and your kids are going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awww! I'd say what an honor! That is so nice of ur Momma!
    I hope to pass something to Harbor one day,

    ReplyDelete